Is the air in your home clean? You might think so, but chances are it isn’t as good as you think it is. That’s why air purifiers for dust and other pollutants can make a big difference. Undetectable air pollution is common in many homes for a variety of reasons and it could be affecting you.
First, there’s odors, which are not pollution as such, but they can be unpleasant and embarrassing when someone visits your home. Then there are things such as pollen, mold spores and dust mites which are most likely lurking and you don’t even know it.
Benefits of Air Purifiers for Dust and Pollutants
You probably spend quite a lot of time making sure your house is fresh and clean, don’t you? Of course you do, but it’s the things you can’t see that can be a problem. That bunch of flowers making your room smell nice can give off pollen which can cause eye irritation or bring on an asthma attack to vulnerable people.
Damp humid places like bathrooms and even kitchens can harbor mold, with the spores in the air possibly causing breathing difficulties or lung infection. Dust mites thrive in dust and they can cause skin allergies.
Domestic pets leave their dander around the home, not to mention their smell. Those who suffer with allergies and asthma are particularly at risk from these.
Other odors such as from cooking or smoking can make you home seem dirty no matter how much cleaning you do. Are you now beginning to see the benefits a decent air purifier can bring? All of these problems are dealt with and you can be reassured you’re living in a cleaner environment.
We’ve looked at five popular air cleaners for dust and pollutants below to help you come to a decision as to which one is best for you.
The GermGuardian AC4825, 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System is designed for anyone who wants their home free of dust and smoke. But how effective is it? Is the GermGuardian really going to provide relief from dust and other air contaminants? Let’s find out.
- These air purifiers for dust have a HEPA filter that takes out 99.97% of allergens and dust in the air. This filter can even remove 0.3 microns including pollens, dust, pet dander and so on. The AC4825 also has a charcoal filter which cuts down the odor released by pets, cooking and smoking.
- Its UV-C light technology is designed to eliminate mold spores, germs, viruses and airborne bacteria. In addition, the UV-C light technology combines with titanium dioxide for greater effect.
- Its HEPA filter is going to last 6 to 8 months depending on usage and coverage area. There is a four-filter pack you can purchase separately.
- This air cleaning system has Intertek certification, one of the top testing labs in the country today.
- The GermGuardian works on multiple levels and it functions as a 3 in 1 system, reducing odor, UV-C and a HEPA filter.
- The GermGuardian is CADR rated 100+ and Energy Star certified.
- Indicator lights activate to let you know the UV-C bulb or filter needs replacement.
This is one of the most effective dust removal systems / purifiers around as it does multiple cleaning. Once you’ve got the GermGuardian set, it’s going to remove bacteria, viruses and other contaminants in the air.
Setting up is easy, and for best results you should put the AC4825 as close to where it’s most needed as you can. This really will help to get rid of contaminants and will also remove those unwanted cooking odors too. If you don’t want the smell of the food you’re cooking all over the house, just place the it in the kitchen.
The AC4825 is powerful enough to remove powerful chemical smells like those on nail polishes and cleaning solutions. It does make a bit of noise but it’s not that much of a deal.
Apart from the HEPA filters, the UV-C light is really good at getting rid of streptococcus, E.coli and they actually destroy the DNA of these contaminants so it’s more efficient than some other purifiers.
What makes the AC4825 effective is the way it works: it combines the effects of a charcoal and HEPA filter, allowing it to remove more dust and lint that your typical dust removing system.
As good as the GermGuardian is, it is not perfect. The HEPA filter isn’t washable, and the first few times you use it, there can be a strong plastic smell. But this odor dissipates over time. Also, this unit is designed for medium sized rooms only, i.e. maximum size 100 sq. ft.
Is the GermGuardian for Me?
The GermGuardian is one of the best HEPA filters available. It’s ideal for small and medium sized areas, and it’s especially good for those with asthma. If you want your home free from dust and other contaminants, the GermGuardian AC4825 is a good choice.
The Honeywell HPA300 True HEPA Whole Room Air Purifier is one of the company’s more popular products, and it has gotten a lot of positive reviews as well. But how does the HPA300 work as far as dust removing is concerned? Let’s take a close look.
- This air purifier for dust removal is designed to eliminate airborne contaminants, and it is AHAM CADR Rated 300, allowing it to circulate air five times an hour.
- The HPA300 has an activated carbon pre-filter which eliminates odors, dust and bacteria in the air.
- There is an electronic filter and replacement indicator built in as well as a timer which you can set for 2, 4, and 8 hours, perfect for custom use.
- The HPA300 has three cleaning settings and one for Turbo Cleaning.
- The HEPA filters on the HPA300 removes up to 99.97% of all microscopic allergens and airborne particles.
- The HPA300 meets the standards set by the Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) Performance as set by the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM).
- A fan is built into the unit, and it quietly pulls air while filtering and circulating air.
- Its pre-filter process captures airborne particles, dust and pet dander, at the same time eliminating unpleasant smells.
- Like other Honeywell air cleaning units, the HPA300 runs quietly.
The HPA300 performs well in removing dust and allergy triggers and it captures microscopic particles as small as 0.3 microns. The HPA300 is best known for removing dust, but it’s also effective for pet odor, smoke, mold spores, cooking smoke and cigarette smoke.
All this is possible because the HPA300 relies on a mechanical filtration system, where a fan draws air in the purifier and subjects it to the HEPA filter. This is done five times on the hour, resulting in cleaner air. Another nice thing about the HPA300 is it doesn’t produce any ozone, a welcome feature if you’ve got breathing issues.
The fact that the HPA300 is so quiet might give you the impression that it isn’t working. But it does work and even better than others because of its double filtration mechanism. Its design also allows you to place it almost anywhere. If you listen closely it does emit a bit of sound, but it’s best described as just a sort of unobtrusive white noise.
The HPA300 is one of the best air purifiers, but it is not without drawbacks, the biggest is the need to replace the filters. It can be a bit of a hassle, but each one lasts a long time so it’s tolerable.
Is the HPA300 for Me?
Removing dust from air is not the only thing the HPA300 can do, as it’s also effective for allergens and other airborne particles. With a coverage area of up to 465 square feet / 21′ x 22′, it is ideal for large homes and any household that wants to get rid of dust, allergens and keep the air fresh.
The Honeywell 50250-S True HEPA Air Purifier is often recommended by health experts and physicians. It’s true that Honeywell makes a lot of air cleaning systems, but the 50250-S has features that allow it to stand on its own.
- Air purifiers for dust often use HEPA filters that need frequent replacement, but the one on the 50250-S lasts for 3 to 5 years. This makes the purifier less of a hassle to use, and cheaper too. You can also vacuum the filter to further prolong its life.
- Its HEPA filter is glass fiber and eliminates 99.97% of airborne particles down to 0.3 microns.
- Like other Honeywell air purifiers, the 50250-S has carbon activated pre-filter to eliminate lint, fur, dust and other house and pet odors.
- The Intelli-Check Electronic Filter Indicator notifies you when the filter needs to be replaced.
- This air purifier comes with AHAM certification and a 250 CADR rating for smoke, pollen and dust.
- The 50250-S uses Honeywell’s proprietary 360 degree air intake and discharge system, ensuring air circulates at optimum levels.
- Its SurroundSeal technology reduces the possibility of air leaks. Even the slightest leaks affect performance so this is an essential feature.
- The built-in fan pulls air in, filters them and releases fresh air in 360 degrees. Some air purifiers don’t offer this flexibility so the re-circulated air is distributed unevenly.
The 50250-S works exactly as advertised, removing allergens, microscopic particles, smoke and odors. It’s especially effective for removing cigarette smoke and the smells that come from having dogs and cats running around the house. Compared to other purifiers, the 50250-S works faster and covers more space.
Even if you don’t know the technical details, the 50250-S does what it should as far as removing dust is concerned. If you do want to know, in simple terms the purifier’s pre-filter is designed to safeguard the filter and soaks in the odors and particles. All of this takes place automatically so when the 50250-S is set, airborne particles are quickly removed.
A word about the filters: use of the odor removing pre-filter is optional. If you decide to use it, replace the pre-filter every 3 months. This is only a general guideline, and you may have to change filters more frequently if someone smokes in your house, if you have pets, or someone has asthma, etc.
The 50250-S is one of the best room air purifiers for allergies, but it is not without shortcomings. It is noisier than other Honeywell air purifiers and it looks a bit drab, but as far as functionality goes it works just fine.
Is the 50250-S for Me?
The 50250-S is one of the best air purifiers for dust you can buy. It’s been around for some time but it’s comparable to the best of them. With a coverage area of 390 square feet, this is an air purifier suitable for small to medium sized homes. When it comes to air cleaning systems you look for certain traits like efficiency, affordability and a long lasting filter, this one certainly fits the bill.
The GermGuardian AC5000E 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier System is one of the more popular products on the web, but is there anything that distinguishes this from the rest? Let’s find out.
- These room air cleaners for dust have true HEPA filters, and it removes 99.97% of dust. It also removes eliminates microns as small as 0.3 and various allergens. The AC5000E HEPA air filtration system also eliminates asthma triggers in your home.
- Aside from the filter, the AC5000E has a UV-C light which destroys germs, while its charcoal filter eliminates odors. Some air purifiers are more effective at removing odors or airborne particles, but the AC500E excels at both.
- The purifier is CADR rated 125+, and at 28 inches tall is one of the more portable versions available.
- There is a filter change and UV-C indicator so there is no more need to guess when you need to replace them.
- There are three settings, from low to high, and the low speed is the quietest.
- The purifier’s filter also needs to be replaced after 6 to 8 months, saving you time and money.
- It’s Energy Star certified so it’s not going to lead to a spike in your energy bills.
- ARB certified for quality.
- The AC5000E has a five year warranty, one of the longer ones in the industry.
If you want to remove dust with an air purifier, the AC5000E is as good an option as any. It is light and you can put it anywhere you like. Its HEPA filter does an excellent job capturing mold, pet dander, dust mites and pollen, and the UV-C bulb also removes mold spores, viruses and other bacteria.
The charcoal filter is the one responsible for removing odors, and it really works great if the smells of pets, cooking and cigarettes are all around your house. As we have pointed out the filter only needs to be replaced every 6 to 8 months, but you can purchase a 4 pack carbon filter to prolong its life.
The AC5000E is easy to use, with the UV-C on/off button easily accessible. The 3 speeds are convenient, and even at the highest setting it runs quietly. You can run the purifier for extended periods, and it doesn’t use a lot of power.
This is a very good air purifier, but it isn’t perfect. There a strong plastic smell when you open the box. Second, the UV-C blue indicator light is a bit too bright. Other than those two issues however, the AC5000E delivers a good performance.
Is the AC5000E for Me?
Portable air purifiers for dust are plentiful, but the AC5000E stands out from the rest with its solid performance and features. This 28 inch purifier is suitable for small to large rooms and it’s well-designed. If you’ve got allergies, you may want to give the AC5000E a try.
The Honeywell 17000-S QuietCare True HEPA Air Purifier is a multi-purpose device, and it’s ideal for removing dust, allergens and unpleasant smells in the house. Let’s examine these features and what the QuietCare air purifier can really do.
- The QuietCare uses a true HEPA filter for a dust free home and removes up to 99.97% of airborne pollutants found in the air.
- The air purifier has a 5 year warranty, an indication of the quality of the product, and customer support is also good.
- The QuietCare measures 16 x 13 x 17 and at just 11.5 lbs. light enough to place anywhere.
- It has a permanent HEPA filter which is built for long term use. You can also extend its life by vacuuming.
- There are 3 speeds on the unit so you can choose the ideal setting for that area in your home. There are indicator lights which tell you the purifier is running, and the electronic controls are comfortable to use.
- The air purifier works up to a maximum size of 168 square feet, or 12 x 14 feet. Once the QuietCare is set up, it will circulate the air at around six times an hour for more effective cleaning.
These air purifiers for dust have been designed to reduce pathogens, odors, dust and allergens, and it delivers. Just put the QuietCare where it needs to be and you’re going to notice the difference.
True to the claims, the QuietCare removes all kinds of odors and airborne bacteria and particles. If you have allergies, asthma or just want cleaner, fresher air, you can use the QuietCare and you’ll feel the difference in the air. You also get the same results when you use it to remove odors.
If you have respiratory problems the QuietCare is an ideal solution, and its HEPA filter is effective in terms of removing 0.3 microns. Honeywell’s claims the HEPA filter gets rid of up to 99.9% of airborne contaminants has been proven true in tests.
The filter button is helpful too. A single blink is a sign the filter still has a long life, while two blinks means its life is getting short, and three blinks means replacement is needed. The HEPA filter is good for one to three years depending on usage, and the pre-filters are usually replaced every 3 months or so.
The QuietCare does a remarkable job removing dust and allergens, but it’s not without issues. It is noisier than other Honeywell air purifiers and like other air purifiers you need to replace the pre-filters every few months. Even so that doesn’t change the fact the QuietCare is effective.
Is the QuietCare for Me?
Air purifier reviews for the QuietCare have given good feedback and it’s not difficult to see why. Despite a couple of shortcomings, this air purifier does what it should, remove dust and allergens. For small and medium size rooms, the QuietCare works great, and it is ideal for those with asthma too.
Air Purifier Buyer’s Guide
Modern homes are far more energy efficient than in the past. One of the problems with this is that, by being better sealed, they trap air pollution inside. Cooking, cleaning, smoking and pet odor, dust, mold and pet dander can all cause problems. This is where an air purifier for dust and other pollution can come in handy.
There are various types available, depending on what you want to do, but those with a HEPA filter are the most popular, so it’s those we recommend. High Efficiency Particulate Arrestance (HEPA) filters have a standard set by the US Department of Energy. They should remove at least 99.97% of airborne particles, 0.3 micrometers in diameter.
Many HEPA filter air purifiers also have pre-filters. These are useful because they remove larger particles like pet hair, before the main filter. They also help to absorb odors and smoke. Pre-filters will typically need replacing regularly, so do bear in mind that ongoing cost, but they do also help to prolong the life of the main filter.
You should take into account the size of your room or home because air purifiers are normally made to deal with a particular size. This can affect the price, but it would be a false economy to buy one which isn’t made to cover the area you need it for.
The air change per hour is something to check, particularly if you’re looking to help manage symptoms like asthma. An air change of four times an hour is better in this situation.
What features do you need? This is down to you, but multiple fan speed and filter change indicators are useful. Do you need portability with wheels or a handle? These can be helpful if you intend to move the unit to different rooms.
It’s important to change the filter according to the manufacturer’s recommendation in order to keep the unit at peak performance. Failure to do so will make the filtration substandard and defeat the reason for having one. It’s a good idea to check the cost of replacement filters as this can make a big difference over time.
Length of warranty is also something to consider. It will, of course, be a limited liability warranty, but the longer the better. A longer warranty is usually an indication of the quality of the unit. Five years is best, but three to five years should mean it’s of decent quality.
Here’s a list of what you might want to check:
- Air change per hour
- Filter life
- Clean air delivery rate
- Energy usage
Air purifiers for dust, pollution and odors can make a big difference to the air quality in your home. This should not only help you to have a clean space, but also a healthier home which wouldn’t be the case without one.